Jaguar Land Rover’s 2013 Silk Trail 2013 Expedition is now just over half way through.
Demonstrating Land Rover’s legendary capability, its latest model, the Range Rover Hybrid is being put through its final engineering sign-off drive on a gruelling 9,950 mile endurance expedition.
The test, proving the new Range Rover Hybrid as the world’s most capable hybrid, set off from the home of Land Rover in Solihull, UK on August 22 and will travel overland for more than seven weeks through Europe, Russia and Asia to Mumbai, India – arriving on October 15.
Named after the famous trading route, this Silk Trail expedition should prove not only the continuation of Land Rover’s historic build quality and attention to off-road design details, but also show the company’s continued interest in sponsoring off-road challenges.
With 12 countries having the brand’s eco-credentials stamped on the border passes over 53 days, this tour sounds more hard-top than hard core, but there’s no denying the Range Rover’s ability when (as the trope has it) the going gets tough.
The Range Rover Hybrid and Range Rover Sport Hybrid go on sale across Europe on September 10, with first deliveries in early 2014.
The hybrid powertrain combines Land Rover’s 3-litre SDV6 turbo diesel engine with a 35kW electric motor integrated with the 8-speed ZF automatic transmission. Total output of the powertrain is 340PS and 700Nm torque, resulting in acceleration to 62mph (100km/h) in under seven seconds, a strong mid-range rush and a top speed of 135mph (218km/h). The powertrain achieves a 26 percent reduction in CO2 emissions to 169g/km and records 44.1mpg (combined cycle).
- Range Rover Hybrid revealed (telegraph.co.uk)
- Land Rover Unveils First Range Rover Hybrids (inhabitat.com)
- Official: Land Rover announces Range Rover hybrids (autoblog.com)
- Range Rover Hybrid review (telegraph.co.uk)
- Land Rover’s first diesel-electric hybrid Range Rovers hit the off-road (gizmag.com)
- Range Rover Hybrids embark on 9,950 mile expedition (worldcarfans.com)
- Land Rover seen testing diesel hybrid plug-in (reviews.cnet.com)
- Frankfurt: Land Rover debuts Range Rover Hybrid, not bound for US (autoblog.com)
- Range Rover Sport to make mad dash through New York (reviews.cnet.com)
- Land Rover Goes Green (mcdonaldlandrover4x4.wordpress.com)
This article was written by Rupert Astbury