In a week of bold assertions, Jaguar Land Rover announced their intention to please all of the people all of the time.
In the near future we will be seeing a lot more of the new Range Rover Long Wheel Base, if you’ll pardon the pun, as they introduce a special Long Wheel Base and even more special Long Wheel Base ‘Autobiography Black’ Range Rover model dilemma.
Extra room in the boot will of course be practical, but the 186mm increase in rear leg room will be most welcome to the Maybach and Rolls Royce devotees in need of some upwards momentum.
Executive leather seats will be offered to replace the ‘bench’ seats, although either can offer a reclined position to allow you to gaze out of the panoramic roof, safe in the knowledge that the powered side blinds keep unwanted intrusion to a minimum.
At the other end of the 4X4 party-trick-list, there are those lucky few who can keep the pace up as they seek ever-longer puddles of mud in which to race.
We say ‘lucky few’ as the price tag for fourb’four’s answer to the Porsche Supercup is in fact similar to that of the Porsche Supercup.
…a modified Defender 90 Hard Top utilising the factory-standard 2.2 litre diesel engine which has been uprated to 170 bhp by Bowler Motorsport. All Defender Challenge cars will run the standard 6-speed manual gearbox, controlled Kuhmo tyres and full MSA-approved roll cage and fire extinguisher system. Further aiding the accessibility of the series, all cars will remain road-legal and can be driven to events if required…
Bowler Defender Challenge Car Specification
Based on a Land Rover Defender 90 Hard Top
Engine: 2.2 Litre Diesel Gearbox Standard 6-speed manual Power: modified to 170 bhp by Bowler Motorsport Torque: 450Nm
- Full MSA-approved roll cage
- MSA-compliant fire extinguisher system
- Bowler Motorsport suspension system – including new dampers, springs roll bars and bushes
- Bowler Motorsport lightweight 18″ wheels with controlled Kuhmo tyres
- Racing seats and six-point harness
- Bowler Motorsport lightweight front bumper and sill protectors
- Intercom system
- Upgraded mud flaps and mounting system
- Bowler Motorsport revised door casings
- Full Defender Challenge livery
- Optional Bowler brake package
- Optional service package providing access to Bowler Works mechanics, logistic support plus vehicle storage between events
If you like the idea of competing in a Land Rover Defender or Special, contact us at McDonald Land Rover for all the best off-road suspension and engine upgrades.
- Land Rover Goes Green (mcdonaldlandrover4x4.wordpress.com)
This article was written by Rupert Astbury